2009年4月8日水曜日

Has youth's thinking about marrige life changed?















Recently, in Japan, the idea of ジェンダー (Gender) is changing. Some decades ago, it was widely believed that woman were inferior to men, and woman couldn't express their own opinions, especially to their husband. Also, few woman worked with men , and even if they did, their status in the workplace was really low. However, today, woman's status has become more equal, and many families share housework .


So, what do today's youth think about marrige style? Has their thinking changed into a more equal relationship? I interviewed my friend about his idea for marrige life. He wished to remain anonymous. His name is "M". He is 24 years old.

Question; Do you want to get married in the future?

M; Yes, I really want to. I'm yearning for marrige. If I don't get married, I'd be afraid of the pressure from my family and society standards. Also, I want to have children, but to be a single father is too hard for me.

Q; What kind of woman do you want to marry?

M; I have many conditions. I want my wife to have long hair and be humble, like typical old Japanese wife. Also, I want a woman who is good at housework, cooking and household money matters, and who likes children. And I want her to respect me.

Q; Oh, you really have many conditions. You'll never get married. Next, how do you want your married life to be?

M; I want to have 2~5 children. I want my wife do all the housework. I'll help a little, like push the washer buttton, but mainly housework should be done by the wife. I don't want her to have a full-time job. Just part-time job is O.K, but not full time. I want her to concentrate on housework and raising children. My dream is that when I wake up, my break fast is already prepared.

Q; O.K, what do you think about woman's role and men's role in married life?

M; Men's role is to work hard and earn money. Woman's role is to do housework and raise children. I think these roles are really the natural way for human beings because women and men are genetically more capable of doing these respective things. (Excitingly) Now, it is said that sharing housework is the symbol of equality, but, I think people misunderstand "equality". What man are good at and what women are good at are essentially different. So, I believe equal society means that women and men do their own respective roles.

I appreciate him telling me his honest thinking. His idea for married life is really close to the typical Japanese married life. His idea is just one of millions among youth, but I'm sure many Japanese guys would agree with his idea.

The picture of father and baby came from here!

The picture of housework (second one) came from here-!
The first picture is my original photo, she is my grand mother. She is a typical Japanese wife. She buttered her husband up. Also, she is really modest.

Link
This site shows women's thinking for marrige.

3 件のコメント:

  1. The interview is a nice idea. But it seems as though not much has changed...

    Where are your own original photos?

    返信削除
  2. Now both genders are treated equally, both share the responsibilities of earning money and doing housework. This idea benefits to both who wanted to experience what's it like doing housework and working.

    For what I heard, nowadays, many people willing to live in 1 house than getting married first. This helps couples to gain trust, and deepen relationship.

    As for the interview above, I will still respect for what his decision-made and wishes for and support him.

    返信削除
  3. The website with the ladies' commentary is in Japanese. That's sad; I really wanted to read it.

    返信削除